Saturday, December 03, 2016

Advent Calendar Day 3: Drum

Alex's choice today, and he wasn't sure what to pick at first - then we remembered it's the bands' Christmas concert today, so a drum seemed apt, even if neither of my kids actually play the drum.  

Friday, December 02, 2016

Advent Calendar, Day 2: Wreath

This was my choice today - as we put the wreath on the door, I thought the wreath on the advent calendar was a nice addition. If you've not seen my calendar before, you should note that each of the individual squares is about 3.5" - so some of them do have some very tiny pieces. The designs are all paper pieced. 

Thursday, December 01, 2016

Advent Calendar, Day 1: Mitten

Time once again for our quilted advent calendar - today's piece was chosen, at a distance, by Sarah, who suggested that in honour of the incredibly cold weather, we put up the mitten. Good choice, I thought!

Friday, November 18, 2016

ATC Friday

These cards, I was the last player to make an addition. The first one was easy - it cried out for poetry, and there was lots of space on the card.

This one was not so easy, as the card was quite full, but I like the addition of a person, and I think they worked well.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Cross Stitch Update

After a few weeks of not doing much, I did have a chance to stitch a bit more. I will probably leave this now and work on Christmassy things. Perhaps I'll get it done for next year!

Trunk Show Tuesday

A baby quilt for a friend's daughter, made in 2002.  

Monday, November 14, 2016

Before and After (After and Before!)

Here's one of the two quilts, being put together. (There are lots more blocks in another pile for the other quilt). I have laid out all the feature blocks and am now working on putting them together using blocks made from other shirts. The top section is completely together, but as you can see, there are still many gaps below. Getting there, though!

Here it was before I worked on it yesterday - you can see I made quite a few additions. 

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Ben's clothes quilts, progress!

Made some more blocks for these quilts today - finally making a little progress after weeks of not sewing anything at all. I really must get these done, I feel bad about taking so long.

Friday, November 11, 2016

ATC Friday

With these ATCs, I was the first player - I made the background and sent them off to others to work on. When you are the first person, it's less likely you'll have any idea how the cards are going to come back, though of course, you hope they sort of follow your theme, if there is one.  This card had little theme beyond blue and brown - it was made from part of a chocolate bar wrapper and some washi tape. 

This car had a little more theme to it; I used a poem text for the background and put a charm on. But still, lots of room to decide which direction to take it in!

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Trunk Show Tuesday

This was a baby quilt made for a colleague way back before I gave up work at New Scientist - apparently in March 2002. Always did like this design. Might have to do it again.

Friday, November 04, 2016

ATC Friday

Some more ATCs I worked on as part of a round robin - again, these are ones where I added the finishing touches. In both cases, words were involved. Shocking, I know!

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Trunk Show Tuesday

This one was made in March 2002, apparently, for my friend Jen. I don't think there was an occasion, in particular. You can tell we are still in the old quilts section, as my quilting is still very minimalist!

Friday, October 28, 2016

ATC Friday

A few finished ATCs - these were both sets on which I was the last person to add something. 

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Cross Stitch Update

More progress on this Hallowe'en mystery - you can see I've nearly finished the border that separates the left panel from the central panel. And soon on to the central panel. It won't be finished in time for Hallowe'en, but I might carry on with it after, nonetheless. I should really dig out last year's Hallowe'en mystery, but it doesn't appeal as much as this one, so I probably won't.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Trunk Show Tuesday

This one, I made as a 30th birthday present for my brother. That was back in 2002. I know this got a lot of use, the binding is pretty much completely gone now. Time to make him a new quilt, perhaps (they have others - there was a wedding quilt, a quilt from my dad's Hawaiian shirts and of course a baby quilt for my lovely niece...)

Friday, October 21, 2016

ATC Friday

These two sets of cards were ones started by me, and then worked on by two other people. So you can see the beginning and the end, but not the middle. 

I love the crazy lady on this one - super addition!

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Cross Stitch Update

Progress!  Nearly done with this section now - soon on to section two. I won't finish by Hallowe'en, but I might finish this year if I keep stitching at this rate. Touch wood.  The colour is much more accurate in this photo, taken in daylight.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Trunk Show Tuesday

A commission quilt for a friend's niece. 

Friday, October 14, 2016

ATC Friday

Two more cards which make an interesting contrast, I think. In both of these cases, I was the middle person to work on the card - the first one came to me very full, and it was hard to find something to add to it, which would still allow space for another person to work on it. 

I just added the "You Are Here" washi tape. 

This is what it looked like when I got it!

With this one, it was almost empty when I got it - a complete contrast to the other one.