Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Birthday Shooting Stars

The blocks for this quilt top came from a birthday block swap (you choose what type of block you want to receive in your month; in the other months you make the other participants' choices of blocks) which I did last year on Quilt Shoppe Forum - the hostess actually did a very good job matching up actual birthdays to official swap birthdays, and I got all my blocks (I had chosen bright or jewel toned stars, can't remember which, on black backgrounds - any size) in November. Can't believe it's been a year already - anyone know where that time goes, and how to get it back?

Anyway, I was looking for something smallish (it's 51 inches square) to quilt today, as I had a longarm day, and this seemed the perfect thing - good size, and thematically appropriate, too. The quilting is a very simple pantograph (i.e. all over pattern) called shooting stars, which again, seemed appropriate. And I love it in variegated thread on a black background. I also have a photo of the quilting close-up and one of the back, which is a shibori piece I dyed a while back, which was just the size I needed. Serendipity! At some point in the not-too-distant future, I will bind it, most likely in black.

1 comment:

Angie said...

What a pretty quilt! I haven't done anything with a black background yet, but they are so striking. And your quilting with the varieaged thread just sets if off. Great job!