Saturday, November 11, 2006

Foiled, and foiled again

Did some work today on pending projects - finished up the flying geese for that swap, so the last of them can go in the post next week. I have quite a few triples now - some from the other members of the swap, and some from my own fabric. Eventually, I shall lay them out in triplets, with narrow borders down the side in a solid colour, to make them into squares, and then set them in alternating orientations (I know, hard to get a mental picture - perhaps when I have time, I will do a diagram - I know just what I mean!)


I also finished off my baby shower swap project - quilted the two pieces of fabric together using the a multicoloured metallic thread in top and bottom (worked better than I'd feared - you never know with metallics). Then later on, Olivia and I played with the foils - she added some to an already glittery piece of gold lame' - and I foiled both sides of my double quiltlet - one using the provided double-sided sticky tape and the other using glue. I like the glue better as you have more freedom of shape, but it's a little hard to control, and of course you have to wait for it to dry - patience not being my strongest suit, I was glad to have some double sided tape to mess with to start with. The whole process can be seen here, if you care.

And finally, I did some preparation work for a postcard swap with the theme of Rainy Days - took me a long time to work out what I wanted to do for that one - the temptation being to do something which just looks grey and rainy - but although that could be satisfying in its own way (and indeed, I have already received one very nice card done in that sort of manner), I decided in the end to approach it in a more roundabout fashion - and pursue the theme of rainbows, in a kind of abstract way. I went with a strip in rainbow colours (none of which photographed very well - hard to get good colours sometimes on digital pictures - I really must learn how to get the most out of my camera as I'm sure you can adjust the settings to make allowances for these things) set in a dark blue background - then the "rain" will go diagonally across the cards (only one has the "rain" done so far) - using the same multicoloured metallic. Maybe not traditionally rainy, but I like the effect...

No comments: