Thursday, January 04, 2007

Fabric book making


So I'm doing this online class with my surface embellishment group (a spin off of my dyeing group) - the class is on making fabric books. Today I had a go at the first page - this is the front (left) and back (right) - I think I am going to put pelmet vilene (a stiff interfacing) between the pages instead of batting. And I'll probably do a little decorative stitching on the pages before I finish, but these photos were taken after glueing - you can see that the glue under the skeleton leaves on the left is not dry yet.

There is almost no stitching on the pages yet, just some yarn couched down on the front page - it was more evident originally, but then I decided to put some gauzey stuff on top of it. The photo is a transfer I bought commercially (from artchix) and the window is a bit of thin metal (from the same source).

On the "back" of the page, I used some metallic paper I've had for awhile, can't remember precisely where I got it - from a quilt show somewhere I'm sure. And some of the same sheer fabric I used on the front, and some of the same yarn (the spiral in the bottom corner). The stars are actually from some Christmas confetti I bought at Ikea a few years ago and the flower is a cut out from the ribbon I used on the front. The building is from a sheet of images I purchased from artchix. There's no stitching at all on the back, so far. This may change.

We are supposed to do two pages (front and back) or more for the first lesson; I think I might do the second set in greens and blues, but we'll see what happens when I actually get to it. Hopefully, I WILL actually get to it!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Hi Love what you are doing - what is the group you are working with? I am so into the idea of making a fabric book and would love to cyber meet others who are making them.

Kate North said...

Sara, don't know if you will get this comment, but couldn't think how else to leave it as yours came through anonymously...

Anyway, this class I did was private and a long time ago (finished in Feb 2007), but you might look at somewhere like Joggles.com for a similar class - or check out the website of the woman who taught ours - Lenna Andres (www.creativelenna.com)