Saturday, January 27, 2007

The secret project... and some crazy squares


As I mentioned yesterday I needed to make some crazy squares or something up on which to practice some of my stitching for the TAST challenge - so that's one thing I've done today. These are all done with bits of silk - mostly ex-sari silk, I think. They are bonded onto a foundation and some of the joins are actually seams, while other pieces are just held on by bonding. As all the seams will have treatments, I'm not that worried about them being pre-sewn. I intend to make some more eventually - maybe 9 total, or 12, as that would be a nice wallhanging size (they will be 10" finished), but three is enough to be getting on with for a little while, even if I only have 3 or 4 stitches to practice at the moment.

I was planning to do some practice stitching on them tonight while watching telly (our current fun reality TV programme - Dancing on Ice - is on) but frankly, I didn't want to stop reading my book, which is The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (finally getting to it!). If you are one of the few remaining people on earth who like me haven't read this - do. It's astonishing. In fact, it was all I could do to come in and blog before shutting down the computer for the evening instead of just reading more. If I thought there was any chance of finishing it tonight, you can bet I wouldn't be here typing, but I'm only about halfway through.

But I digress. The other thing I worked on today (which isn't a quilt or anything involving the sewing machine but which does relate to other stuff I blog about), this time with the girls, was a birthday present for my mom. Now, I know you'd all like to see it, but as my mother has been known to read this blog I won't put a photo here. I will, however, put a link to a photo and description of the item in so that if you aren't my mother (which most of you won't be!) you can have a look. And mom will just have to exercise her willpower... So, if you are my mother, don't click here. Such a tease I am!

No comments: