Saturday, April 07, 2007

We are climbing Jacob's Ladder




The only thing I don't like about making these batik and cream Jacob's Ladder blocks is getting the song stuck in my head for the rest of the day... but I like the blocks themselves, and think the colour choice is good (not my choice, so I can say that without being conceited!) Made four more today, for a total of 6 - which is considered one set for the swap. I am planning to make 5 or 6 sets, not sure yet, will see how the time goes. So far, I haven't had to move beyond my batik scrap bin, and I have the pieces cut out for another set. The third set will include some slightly larger pieces out of my batik box. But I do love swaps where you can use up little bits of things.




The other thing I did today was to finish putting together the snail's trails blocks I worked on for a swap some time ago (and then realised I'd made backwards, so ended up not swapping). This top will go in the baby quilt pile (I have one or two others stowed away in case people have babies) - it's not what I normally do, but I think it's very pretty, so I'm glad to have had a reason to work in these sorts of fabrics.


The item on the right is a postcard I received today for the Frayed Fabric swap on FAI - the red fabric is frayed fabric, though it doesn't really show much in the photo. I love the background fabric she used - very psychedelic (not sure I spelled that right). Anyway, thanks Jo! A nice variety of cards from that swap.


And the other nice thing that arrived in the post today was this fabric from Karol Ann from South Africa. The fabric, along with the other two pieces she sent before, is so great I think it will demand an African quilt of its own (except perhaps the browns, which I might save for something else - they look browner in real life than in the photo) - I will have to have a think about how best to use it. Gosh I love new fabric!

2 comments:

Shelina said...

This a beautiful block and I too like the color combination. I like it when you can get lots of different colors and fabrics together.

Helen in the UK said...

Love your ladder blocks. Looks like you have a nice selection of batiks :)