Monday, May 07, 2007

Rainy Mondays...

Having a bank holiday today might have meant a day to do stuff with the family, except that in the true style of English bank holidays, the weather is absolutely foul. Our friends across the road had invited us for a barbecue, but as there were gale force winds and driving rain, it got cancelled. The good news was, I got to spend the morning sewing while the kids slept in late (the girls recovering from two night of sleeping in the tent in the garden, including one night of sleepover with extra girls) and lounged around in their pjs watching telly - not something that happens a lot in our house, so they should enjoy it while they can.
Later, I helped Sarah pin together her log cabin quilt (doesn't it look smashing?) and begin to quilt it. We're doing very basic quilting, just some stitch in the ditch, down the centres of the diagonal stripes, and then around the centre of each block. Hopefully, it will get finished before it's due to be shown... She did two stripes today, including the purple one, which is the longest coloured one.


A lot of the sewing time I had was for myself, though. I finished off the last of the Jacob's Ladder blocks for that swap. (Resolution: not going to join any more block swaps, no matter how tempting until I make some stuff from blocks I have. Except for the new swap I'm going to host later this summer on about. And not counting the birthday block swap - but that's ok, as I won't get my own blocks from that until next May!) And I finished the cards for the EuroSwap postcard swap. They look really good, I think - quite traditional, but still funky.

And I also started working on my Under the Sea cards. I am doing 12 of them - all of them are done to the stage of the batik fish, but these five are the only ones where I've sewed on the angelina fishes. Next step is a bit more seaweed on top of the fish - something soft and frilly I think - and then some beading, and then I have some little seashell bits with holes in which I'll probably add a few of. We'll see. I'm having fun with them, and am pleased that the batik fish background does show through a little, which is just what I wanted. In all, a very productive day.
Yesterday, I did a small amount of work in the morning, helped Sarah put the last two borders on her top, and then decided my sewing room really need a serious cleaning and re-organisation, so I spent about 4 hours clearing it out, cleaning (lots of dust under and behind things) and re-organising. Moved one of my shelving units around, so it's a bit different, but I think I like it better. We'll see...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow all very nice work. You've been busy. I do mostly landscapes and I also make hand painted fabric. Here is my blog http://thetravellingquilter.blogspot.com
and here is my site http://handpainted.moonfruit.com/.