Saturday, May 12, 2007

Yertl the Turtle, that's me


Here's Olivia (DD2, age 7) working on her quilt for Sandown - she is just quilting diagonal lines across the pink squares. Of course, she insisted in doing it in dark purple thread, so it will be very prominent, but she's one of those kids who simply can't be told - has to do it herself, so whatever. :) And some black scraps in the post from Leona - thanks! I really must get that project back out to work on, now that I have so much black to use! Neither of the girls has much patience for quilting a big piece (not that I blame them) - it's hard enough to do when you are a grown-up, and even harder when you are small, to move all that fabric under the machine - so consequently, we are trying to do a little bit at a time, so that we don't end up with a last-minute rush.


My own work today consisted of more of the Irish Chain - beginning to look pretty good now - the far strip that's been laid out on the bed is the main diagonal, so about half the strips are done. Most of the others are sewn together in twos or fours. But I haven't attached the strips to each other yet (except the first two) and there are lots of setting triangles to go. Still, I feel like I'm making progress, and also, that my estimate of the time it would take (to the customer) was correct - whew.
I also started some cards for World Turtle Day. I played with a lot of ideas, but couldn't get Yertl the Turtle (Dr Seuss) out of my head, so I'm going with a Yertl-esque turtle stack. Not sure what I am going to do next - some sort of quilting, of course, but what, remains to be seen.

4 comments:

sophie said...

Your Yertle the Turtle cards are going to be CHARMING.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

I want to be part of world turtle day! Great work done by you both!

sewkalico said...

Didn't know there was a World Turtle Day - you learn something all the time! Cards are cute, (are the girls called Myrtle?)

Loved the pic of Olivia. Brings back memories of learning to sew and you're very lucky that she is so interested.

Anonymous said...

Wow awesome on the eve of world turtle day....another great creativity.....keep 'em going.