Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Tuesday's stuff



So, here's what I've been working on today - finished the quilting on the postcard wallhanging and have attached the binding and sleeve. Just to sew them down by hand, and then I'll be able to use it - hoorah! It's hanging in my living room, where I will be able to display postcards with style. And I did edge a few of the flying geese postcards, but didn't finish them all - lots of time yet and I wanted to do something else today...
I also worked on another block for the Birthday Block Swap - this is Wendi's house block, though I realised after I put it in the post that I took the photo before I put the finishing touches on it - I drew in some little windows and a mail slot on the door with a pigma pen. But otherwise, this is how it looks - it's mostly machine applique, though I did piece the basic house unit first.

And finally, I learned when I got back this weekend that I was one of the winners for the May Block Lotto (Scrappy Baskets) on quilting.about.com. I will receive a selection of these blocks. Which is cool, but which made me feel slightly guilty about not having done anything yet with the last blocks I won - the black and white Scottie Dogs, so I decided to do something with them. I plan to make this into a single bed quilt for DD1, but only have 16 10 inch blocks, so have decided to sash them into rows and then make some simple filler blocks to put between the rows. Not sure precisely what yet - some snowballs, maybe bowties or pinwheels - something traditional and simple. I will keep to the colours of black, white and blue, in some or other way. More to come, perhaps tomorrow.


Two postcards in the mail today - a tree card from Sally, no less nice for a small postal smudge, and a Turtle card from Jay in Texas - the turtles are playfully hiding in some coral and seaweed. Great card!


And also in the post today, a selection of melted, printed and painted Tyvek bits and pieces - this lot is from a technique swap with my surface embellishment group, the technique in this case being using Tyvek in some way. Some of them are very creative - Betty Ann has made Tyvek "stones", which are very funky. But I like all of them - very versatile material. Also got these two books, which I bought used from the swap sub-group of BQL. I'm sure you will all be surprised I don't already own a copy of Surfaces for Stitch - I can hardly believe it myself :) But anyway, now I do own one, and this book on Shibori, which I don't know anything about, but it should be fun to have a look through.

2 comments:

sewkalico said...

You lucky thing winning MORE blocks! Well done. Scottys look cute, bet DD will love it.. reminds me I have a dog quilt to piece for Jack.

Postcard holder looks good too and great post. Glad you back.

Teodo said...

ciao,
congratulations for the winning!
The post you did are very interesting and beautiful!
I think I'll order the postcard-book this afternoon on Amazon.
Ciao,ciao