Monday, July 23, 2007

Faces, kitties, goodies, winter



Lookie what I got in the post today - aren't these faces just the most fabulous? They are tiny - the biggest one is slightly larger than a 10p piece. And yes, they are amazing. I admired them on Dy's blog with a comment about giving them a home across the world and she sent me some (don't you love bloggers? There is so much generosity out there, both of actual items like in this case, but also just the sharing of information and skills - makes you feel that actually, people are pretty nice, despite what the rest of the world sometimes makes you think). Anyway. Thanks again to Dy; I will have to find something special to do with these - the two-tone man face with bead eyes might be nice on a beaded doll...




Other accomplishments today include a trip to my local haberdashery department (with three kids in tow - oh joy!) which netted the above goodies - some were sale items, some were intended for a winter theme postcard swap (not that I used all of them, but I did use some and I figured that anything I didn't use could be used at Christmas). And I put together my first cat for my mom's quilt - the back I pieced last night while watching telly and I put the rest together today. I have (since this photo was taken) taken apart the leg and made the two legs even. The cat will later have a pieced tail similiar to the back and some embroidered eyes, mouth & whiskers, but for the moment, I am just putting together the basic blocks.


And I also did most of the winter postcards - my mother was interested in seeing how I did a series of postcards, so she sat and watched & chatted & even helped a bit as I fiddled with these. When they are completely dry, I will probably edge them with the white eyelash yarn I bought today (I'm a bit into eyelash edging at the moment), but we'll see - perhaps I'll decide against it, like I did with the snowman sequins...

Tomorrow probably won't have much sewing as we are hoping to take the kids to Chessington World of Adventures (at the moment, not only are they predicting no rain, but also predicting that there will be...wait for it...sun). But maybe another cat will get pieced tonight!

9 comments:

Papoosue said...

I know I've said it before but I'm STILL amazed at the amount of work you get done!! I've never seen a block like the cat one before - I really like it - lovely!

Angela said...

I love the colours you have used for your beautiful cat block, this is going to make a stunning quilt!

Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
I love reading your blog and knowing how wonderfully you manage your time...time for the kids, the visiting family, the household, and still the time you need to express your creativity! This is really a skill and you are amazing at it. Perhaps it accounts for the way your work looks so "happy". Thanks for sharing!
Susan

sewkalico said...

Cute postcards, so wintery! And the cat, that's going to be a great quilt - is your mother hoping to take it back with her? (I know you're quick, but not that quick, huh?)
Also dig the little faces, aren't they wonderful.

McIrish Annie said...

I had to look and make sure you were blogging in JULY with all of the christmas and snowmen going on! LOL

I like the kitty block too!

Bimbimbie said...

Had to remind myself you are on the other side of the world .... it's Christmas in July Down Under when lots of crafty souls get busy in the cooler months ahead of the hot Christmas season. Those little faces are so cute, will have to visit their home Smiles *!*

Helen in the UK said...

Love the cat block - glad to hear you adjusted his legs to match :)

Anonymous said...

The kitty block is really cute. Love the postcards too. You are amazingly productive!

Unknown said...

The largest of those faces reminds me of Gordon from the Thomas the Tank Engine stories :o) Love the cat with the NYB body - can't wait to see the tail on it