Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Last post for a few days...

...as we are off to visit my MIL, who has no internet connection. This is probably healthy for me, but I sure miss it :) I'll be back Sunday, and although i am not taking any sewing to do (!) I am nipping over to Birmingham to the Festival of Quilts, so I intend to have some shopping to show when I return. And of course, whatever arrives in the post while we are away...

Anyway. to compensate in advance for nothing to show, here are a bunch of photos:



Three postcards in the post today - top left is for the "stripes" theme on FAI, not due to post until September, which is why you haven't seen me working on them yet :). This card is from Chris, and uses a lovely wide variety of stripes. Nice one, Chris. Top right is pink and purple from Debbie in NZ, for the swap on Arts in the Mail - another great card from her (I'm getting quite a collection - we frequently seem to be in the same swaps!)

Bottom left is my favourite today, as it's not only a great colour (why did I not put orange in that meme the other day about favourite colours - d'oh!) but an unusual technique. This is for the summer swap with my dyeing group, and is from Wil. The card has a hand-dyed background with a seashell placed on it, then covered in lutradur, which has been painted and heat-treated, then quilted. Quite striking really, I really like this one a lot. (Correction from Wil - she didn't paint the lutrador, she got it already coloured from http://www.quiltzauberei.de/


As for my own work, I did some more with the black mock sashing, but didn't photograph it, as it isn't substantially more interesting than the last photo, and started reworking the contrast postcards - I am much happier with these. Whew. They aren't done yet, there will be more quilting on them, and of course, edging, but perhaps something else; we'll see what they want when I get back from my MIL's house.

I also dug into my overflowing strip scrap bin, and made some string squares (or rather, started) in monotones - this is something I've thought of doing for a while, but just not got around to. I think they are going to look really good - will definitely do some more (and finish the ones I started) - photos at a later date. Then I thought I might make a string square block for the African block swap, so I knocked these up - the moment I finished and laid them next to each other I realised that what I should have done was make 4 small ones and put them together to form a 12" square, so - sorry, Karol Ann, you'll have to wait a little longer :)
And last but not least, thanks to Angela for commenting! That brings the draw total to 33 so far... See you all Sunday!

5 comments:

sewkalico said...

Firstly, I love those little inchie faces!
Secondly, I want one of those African blocks! And I'll have the other idea too (I'm greedy LOL) - 4 string blocks together would look great!
Thirdly, you'll be missed, but I look forward to hearing about your FOQ adventures as I'm not able to make it again this year (as every year)
Fourthly, well there's no fourth I'm just being silly LOL

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your trip Kate....look forward to seeing the contents of your shopping bag(s) :).

I came across this site : http://gatherings100.blogspot.com/ there are a lot of comfort dolls and it made me think of you and your beaded doll....I think that I may make myself a comfort doll...I like the concept.

I also liked your inchies. Are those faces from the mold kit you received recently? You mentioned the clay sticking to the mold...what about spraying with cooking spray...just a thought.

Peggy (Québec, Canada)

JanJ said...

Love your string blocks! I am in the process of making some, but I only work on them when I don't want to do something else. It'll get finished one of these days!
Love your inchie faces too! So creative!

Wil said...

Two corrections Kate. The shell is not glued but is loose on top of the fabric. The quilting on the lutrador keeps it in his place. The lutrador I bought in this color. www.quiltzauberei.de sells a number of different colors lutrador.
Wil

McIrish Annie said...

have a lovely weekend! I posted your goodies on Monday hopefully they will be there when you return!
cool inchie faces!