Saturday, August 11, 2007

Post - but definitely not postal





A good day for post today - I got back the fabric from the complex colour swap with my dyeing group (the challenge this time was to make a new red or orange using 3 existing dyes, either all reds & oranges or not) - a great variety of reds and oranges, as you can see. And should any of them be precisely what I am looking for, I will have the information to duplicate them (more or less - dyes always vary with water, fabric, dyeing conditions - but close enough).

I also got a push mould for little faces for polymer clay (Sculpey, Fimo, that sort of thing). I don't intend to get heavily into polymer clay (for instance, I'm not interested in making clay beads) but I really fell in love with Dy's faces, as some of you will remember and although she was kind enough to send me a few of them, I don't think I can fulfil all my face needs by begging, so I thought I'd try some for myself. Now that the mould is here, I have ordered some clay, and will mess around in a week or so, when it arrives.

I also got a postcard for the winter swap, this one from Priscilla - I do wonder what the postman's been making of these very wintery cards in the past week or so :)

And before I tell you about the last item I got, I'll just digress a moment to mention how much I love the blogging world. I know I've said this before, but bloggers and people who read blogs, at least in our little section of blogland, are very cool. I already mentioned one instance of that coolness above - Dy sending me some of her little faces when I told her how much I liked them - here's another. When Olivia did her kids' postcard swap, the card arrived with only "O-L" on it in beads instead of her full name, the others having gone walkies in the post. Well, Amy commented to say she was pretty sure she had precisely the same beads at home somewhere, and would we like her to send the rest of Olivia so the card could be fixed. How cool is that? Since the card was for a seven year old who was a little disappointed it didn't arrive intact, I took her up on the offer and today, all of Olivia arrived in the post (just in case the beads weren't an exact match). As it happened, they were precisely the same beads, and we have now fixed the card to appear as it was originally intended to. See what I mean? Don't you love bloggers?

Along the same lines, Ann has taken me up on my offer of relieving me of the rest of my batik HST units which I used for this little quilt and these triangle postcards and offered to send some goodies in return, including some eyelash yarn in a colour I don't have (not hard - I have blue and white!). So in a little while I'll have a lovely parcel of goodies to show you all from that swap. Another good thing about blogland - having done several things with those triangle units (which were leftover from a quilt top to begin with) I was unlikely to be inspired to use them again, so sending them off to a new home is an excellent solution.

And finally, two more people into the hat today for the blogversary draw - if you haven't read about my little contest (no brain power required, I promise) details are here. Today, LisaJo (who has a new blogspot blog - check it out) and Anna (who has a non-new blog full of excellent work - check it out!) have been added to the list. We are up to 19 now. Which is cool. :)

9 comments:

Cathi said...

Lots of goodies! Quilters/bloggers/crafters are great people. I've done some wonderful swaps with people all over the world. I'd be happy to do a swap with you, lol, in person when you come to visit soon!! Can you bring some of those faces? I would LOVE to do some as well!! Don't know when I'd use them, but would love to have a few to play with...you can raid my CQ stash, as I've had enough for a while with embroidery!

Vicki W said...

Ooooh! All those reds and oranges are lovely!

Unknown said...

Those reds and oranges are good enough to eat! - glad Olivia had her name completed

Helen in the UK said...

What wonderful blog readers you have! Love seeing all your cards and goodies - I'm constantly amazed at how much you are involved with :)

Dy said...

I wondered how long it would take before you couldn't resist getting some face moulds and clay. :-)
I hope you have lots of fun!

Wil said...

Kate,
where did you get the push mould?
Wil

Unknown said...

I too love the push moulds _ I use them for my spirit dolls.

JanJ said...

I just love your quilts and stuff! You are a very creative person. I also like to read your blog and finally decided to start one of my own.
I love all the reds and oranges you have done. I have never tried dyeing fabric........might have to try that someday.

Anonymous said...

Kate so sorry about the beads. I should have mailed you some as soon as you wrote they were missing. I am truly sorry but I am happy that Olivia liked her card as did Ashleigh. Kim