Sunday, September 09, 2007

Change of plans...

Well, my plans to go to a retreat weekend next weekend near Hever Quilt Show have changed, though I don't quite know to what. Sadly, I had a phone call from my brother in the early hours of the morning (which is why I'm up and blogging at 7am on a Sunday) to say my dad had collapsed suddenly and died - they think perhaps a stroke. He and my stepmom live in Baja, Mexico, but the funeral will probably be in San Diego, though it's not certain yet. Nancy (my stepmom) is arranging things, so I will wait to hear from her as to dates and venues. I think it likely to take a little while to arrange things, so I may still very well be in the UK during the retreat, but I've cancelled anyway, as I don't want to have to leave DH with the kids twice in rapid succession - a bit much for both him and the kids, too. And me, too, probably.



This is not entirely unexpected, as he has been in increasingly poor health over the past few years - he has diabetes and various side effects, as well as other health issues, but of course, it's still very sudden and as he was only 65, it does seem a bit young to go. I am glad, though, that it was quick - if you have to go, that's surely better than a prolonged passing.

Anyway, I'll still be here for a while, but will no doubt have to dash off at some point...

27 comments:

Wil said...

Kate, that is awful news. But as you said, he did not suffer. My thoughts are with you.

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear your news and thinking of you all

English Rose said...

so sad to hear your news, my thoughts are with you and your family hon. hugs

Anonymous said...

Kate, I am so sorry to hear of your father's sudden passing. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Totty Teabag said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss Kate.

sophie said...

Kate, I'm so sorry for your loss. At any age, no matter whether it's expected or not, losing a parent is hard stuff. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

AmyB said...

Kate, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.

sewkalico said...

Oh Kate, I'm so sorry to read this sad news. It's hard when our parents are so far away - I dread those calls. What lovely pictures of your dad. My thoughts with you and your family.

Colene said...

Kati, so sorry to hear of your sad news, I'll be thinking of you and your family. Colene

Helen in the UK said...

Kate - I am so sorry to hear your news. Thoughts are with you :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Kate. I lost my dad suddenly 2.5 years ago. Suddenly or not, it's not an easy thing to deal with. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Papoosue said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad Kate. I lost mine about 5 years ago - he was young too (64). My thoughts are with you Kate. xx

rho said...

Kate, I'm so sorry to hear about your father. Our prayers are w/ you'all. My daddy passed away in 2001 December, 2 months after 9/11 - - wow, what a double wammy THAT was.... and as old as I was, it was tough, really tough....but time will help the healing.......

Take care.

YankeeQuilter said...

Kate, So sorry to hear about your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Joyce said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad. Even when it's half expected you are never ready for that kind of news. I'll be thinking of you.

Di said...

So sorry for your loss Kate. My thoughts are with you

Anonymous said...

Oh Kate, I'm really sorry to hear your sad news. My thoughts are with you and your family. 65 is far too young. My dad recently passed away and at virtually the same age. Do you have a big family? Since I am far from my family it was very comforting to see them from all parts of the world.

Peggy

Quilting Pirate said...

I'm sorry for your lost hun. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.

black bear cabin said...

im very sorry to hear about the loss of your father. i hope you and the kids are hangin in there. my thoughts are with you, as i know how hard it is to lose a father at such a young age.
my condolences~
lisajo

His Office, My Studio said...

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

Susan D said...

Oh Kate I am so sorry to hear your sad news, 65 is no age nowadays. I lost my Dad when I was only 10 but whatever age you are it still hurts.

atet said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your father -- my thoughts are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing "nice" to say in a moment like this, just that we think of you and your family.

Hanne said...

I am so sorry for your loss! Hugs from Norway - Hanne

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear your sad news Kate. I'm thinking of you.

Teodo said...

ciao,
I'm sorry for your Dad and for your family.
Hugs

Angela said...

I was so sorry to hear of your sad news Kate (I tried to reply to your email but for some reason it kept bouncing back). Its such a horrible time when a parent is lost. My thoughts are with you and your family, if there is anything I can do, anything at all please let me know.