Sunday, September 16, 2007

Hever Quilt Show - and a winner!



Well, today was a nice quilty day. Started out this morning, with a little time putting together these geese blocks on the left - I had the trios of geese from a swap (actually I have more than this, so perhaps you can guess what will happen to the rest...) and had always planned to put them together in threes, with some fabric down the sides. This morning, I finally got around to doing it. They are now in blocks, but I still have to join those blocks together into a top - then it will go on my stock baby quilt top reserve pile...

Later this morning, we packed a picnic and headed out for the QGBI Region 2 Quilt Show at Hever Castle in Kent (photos from the castle and the show here - no photos of quilts other than my own are public for copyright reasons). This is more or less where I was originally going to go on a retreat, but although I decided I couldn't really still do that with not knowing about when I'll be going to the US for Dad's funeral, we did want to go for the day - the kids really enjoy it as there are lots of fun things to do, and Geoff really likes the show - he likes the smallness of it and the fact that you can really have a good look at all the quilts. I know what he means; it's very satisfying in some ways. Anyway, there are always some vendors there, and I often buy stuff, but wasn't very inspired today - just bought two Christmas FQs I need for a block in my birthday block swap and then this set of six FQs of Moda "Vintage Holiday" prints, which I really liked, especially when the lady on the stand agreed to swap one of the prints in the bundle for a different one from the same line (the red dots) which I liked much better - I had been dithering before, but that made my mind up...

And, it's Sunday, so time to announce the winner of my second Monday Giveaway. Alex drew a number from the basket, which was number 2 - Annie, from Quilt til you Wilt. Congratulations Annie - seems like my stash is moving to your house lately :)

7 comments:

Teresa said...

I'm glad that you had a nice day at the quilt show Kate - you certainly desereved it.
I like the Exeter show in March for the same reason. It's a bit of a trek from Wales, but its a quieter show, with lovely quilts that you can enjoy at your leisure and some nice traders.

sewkalico said...

Your slide show makes Hever look like a lovely day out for the whole family - I would love to go sometime after watching it :O)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate!
I enjoyed your slideshow of the quilt show. Looks like ya'll had a great time.

Gail said...

Those were some gorgeous quilts! I loved seeing some pictures of the castle as well, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate, just wanted to say thanks for putting up the photos from Hever! It was great to see some of the work that is done over your way. Very inspiring! Loved the views of the castle as well, would love to come over and visit all the historic places. Also keep up your very interesting blog - I enjoy seeing what you have purchased as often things are quite different to what's available here in NZ!

JustCindy said...

Loved the photos of the quilt show. Thanks for sharing.

zizzybob said...

Quilts and a castle, what could be better?
I didn't see any ribbons on the quilts. Was it just a show or was it a contest too?