Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A mostly postcard day



Mostly worked on postcards today, though I did also attach some binding to the black and white baby quilt... But, I "fixed" the sheers postcards - added a layer of multicoloured net and some more free motion quilted flowers, and I am happier with them now, though they still don't thrill me. Oh well, you win some you lose some, I guess.

So, in the winners camp, are these green cards, which are for a swap called "recycle" - the idea being to use recycled items. I have used scraps from another project as the base layer, topped with painted (used) dryer sheets, and plastic fruit netting. I've also added butterflies from a greeting card I was given and which was on my pinboard waiting to have a use and some old postage stamps. Also some sequin waste, which although new to me, is a recycled object in itself. Finally, the "cord" is made from twisted strips of the same painted dryer sheets. Basically, the only new thing is the thread - even the pelmet vilene is pieced together from smaller pieces. The backing will be pieces from a linen dress which no longer fits me (too big, I'm pleased to say) but which I liked too much to just give to the charity shop - I knew it would come in handy one day...

And the final group will be for my 20th century swap - the 1910's. I had a hard time thinking what to do for that decade, so in the end, decided to go with first world war propaganda posters, with some stitching to enhance them (I haven't done the stitching yet). Simple, but I hope effective. The 1920's I have more ideas for...



And in the post today, two cards - Sunset (which didn't photograph very well, as it's all lovely metallic paint), from Claire; and Autumn Colours from Sally, which is similar to what I was going to do for the same theme, but luckily, not quite the same - I might change my idea a little now that I've seen hers (the advantage of being early with your cards is that you know no one else has gazumped your ideas...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the postcard "eye candy". :o)
"Gazumped" - now that's a new word for me but I like it!

atet said...

Love those recycled cards -- they are really lovely! Also in love with your finished landscape -- that satin stitching is just right!