Tuesday, September 18, 2007

An orange kind of week



Well, here are a couple of little things - one is a postcard received from Joanie for the I is for... swap - Ivy in this case. Great leaf buttons, aren't they! The other is a non-postcard, though it's postcard sized, for my colourplay swap with my surface design group - the idea being to use only one colour of materials to create design elements. Everything I used here was in my sewing room waiting - and I challenged myself by using one of the colour I was least likely to have lots of - orange. As it happened, I had lots of orange stuff. The piece has orange hand-dyed fabric, with bits of orange paper, orange dyed scrim (which I bought that way), and orange painted tyvek (which was leftover from something else), which are held down with orange fruit netting (sewn across with orange variegated thread, of course) . Then orange fibres are couched down with the orange variegated thread, and orange feathers, sequins, letter beads and a button are glued down. Luckily, I don't have to finish the edges on this - there are four more waiting to be put together - same basic principle, though they will have different words on them (lack of variety of letters - like 3xQ but no R and only 1Y) .

The other thing I did today was to seam together a whopping great huge piece of ohmygod backing fabric for a customer of Lana's - I didn't photo it because I didn't want to blind everyone out there, but it's a VERY bright and showy Kaffe Fassett print. It will go well with the front of the quilt, though, which is also very bright and showy. This is the guy's first quilt (and it's an actual guy, yes) - he certainly isn't afraid of colour... Oh, and I edged two sunset cards - will do the rest tomorrow (and show them then).




These two things are ongoing bits - the first is another Lutradur and Lace piece, this time in oranges (whoa, didn't realise I was going so orange this month - must be autumn coming or something), reds, pinks. It shows a little better in person than in the photo, but I think it will be a nice companion to the blue one - it will also be a sketchbook/journal, as mentioned before.

The piece on the right is a piece of the thin kind of lutradur - on a couple of occasions, when doing a wash on these pieces or something else, I have had extra thinned paint left over, so I decided to grab some of this thin lutradur and throw it in a cup with the leftover paint and let it dry. I will keep doing this until the piece is "done" - don't think it's there quite yet, but it's getting interesting. Waste not, want not, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, now I love the orange piece. For some reason I too am fond of orange lately - must be the changing seasons.

Gail said...

Love that top orange piece. I bought the makings for fabric postcards and never got around to it. Seeing yours makes me want to find the 'ingredients' and give it a try! What is lutrador(sp)

Purple Missus said...

Your L&L piece is very good - love the colour. Carol McFee would certainly agree with you about waste not - she does exactly the same thing!

Angela said...

Love, love, love your orange piece Kate but then again you know I am an orange fetishist(is that even a word who knows?!!). PS I hope you don't mind but I've tagged you, all the details are on my blog. Don't worry if you don't have time to 'play' I won't be offended