Thursday, September 06, 2007

"Spare" quilts



Don't get me wrong, my husband is a dear man and I wouldn't want to do without him (most of the time) but when the phrase "you don't happen to have any spare baby quilts lying around, do you" comes out of his mouth I do sometimes wonder if he couldn't be slightly better organised. I mean, it's not as though babies are a particularly sudden event that one doesn't find out about until the last minute...

Being the boss (more or less) at his work, he likes to give a baby quilt to those among his immediate colleagues who have a baby. This is cool with me, I am happy to paper the world with baby quilts, but today is not the first time he's asked me right before the person is due to go on maternity leave (tomorrow, no less!). Now, being the highly organised type of person I am (and also, having way too many quilts and tops in my house) I did actually have a baby quilt set aside for just such an occasion (see above). However, it's my last spare, and there's another baby quilt occasion coming up in about three weeks, so guess what I will be working on tomorrow! And probably one or two more after that - at least tops - just to get the stock back in good order.



This is what I worked on today (the baby quilt question didn't come until after school, when it was too late to work on anything) - these are both blocks for the birthday block swap I am hosting on about.com. The one on the left is for Patty, who wanted a 12" block (any style) in oriental fabrics, so I made this log cabin/courthouse steps variation for her. The other is for Kathi, who wanted traditional, Baltimore style or Dear Jane blocks in Civil War Reproductions (also 12 inches), so I have done block B-6: Wild Goose Chase from the Dear Jane quilt for her. I decided to take the opportunity to do one of the blocks with lots of fiddly little pieces, as they are much easier to cope with in a 12" block than in a smaller one. I think it's come out rather well. I wasn't sure about the striped fabric (it's definitely a CW era repro, I just wondered how the stripes would work as they are diagonal) but I think it's ok. And I used two different blues, just for fun.

Also got these in the post today - my fat quarter frenzy club - aren't they pretty? Not sure about the one with large roses, actually, I might give it away next week. We'll see. It's not that I hate it or anything, just not sure I'd ever use it. I'll wash and iron them all first, who knows, I might change my mind.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't that just like a man - mind you at least you've got him trained into giving the quilts in the first place now you just have to sort out the 'pre-planning' section of his curriculum :o)

AmyB said...

I think your DH is one LUCKY man!

Suzanne Earley said...

LOL, I like that "a spare" baby quilt. At least baby quilts are smallish!

Sarah Nopp said...

That is very considerate of you, not making him sweat and take you out for a Stash Enhancing shopping trip :)
Your baby quilt is very similar to a Full size I am working on right now- for myself!

Cathi said...

"Men!" as Alex would say, lol!!

You are lucky to have a stockpile of tops, wish I was that productive!! You and Tazzie definitely have more hours in the day than most!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I'm glad to see you are doing your good deed of the month. :o) I think it's really nice that your DH even thinks about giving gifts..especially quilts..that's a very personal touch. So many would just give a gift certificate.

sewkalico said...

I bet he's really proud of you to give your quilts to his colleagues! A bit more notice would be nice, but that's men for you LOL. (And you're clearly organised enough that he doesn't have to worry that you won't have a spare!)

The birthday blocks are great especially like the DJ one and the diagonals work well. Also the fabric is yummy - so interesting how different people are, the big roses would have been my favourite LOL

atet said...

Isn't your husband lucky that you have a flimsy pile? Mine knows better than to ask me questions like that -- luckily!

Love the blocks you made and the fat quarters -- the roses might be nice fussy cut and fused or appliqued onto a post card or something if they aren't too big.