Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Live Rust



Well, here's a desperately uninteresting approach to the Inching Artists Challenge for this week, the theme of which was Rust. Not having got around to doing any rust dyeing (though it's on my list) I really couldn't think of what I wanted to do. All I know is that all week, I've had Neil Young songs stuck in my head (My, my, hey, hey in particular - there's a line "it's better to burn out, than it is to rust" and for some reason, that's ALL I could think of when I thought of rust. So, in the end, I took an image of the album cover Live Rust and imposed the lyrics on top, printed it on sort of rust coloured fabric, and stuck it on some vilene - I'll edge it later. Boring, but whatever. Maybe a series of classic album covers, LOL?

And here's the colour wheel I dyed yesterday, all nicely ironed and laid out - a good selection of plums & pinks, I think.



Also did some piecing today - here are two African blocks - I don't think the one on the right works so well, but I didn't have enough of the fabric I used in the centre of the left block. The left one will be going to Karol Ann; I'll keep the right one. Also worked on some of these attic windows blocks with shoes in the centre - didn't do them all today, but as I just stuck them in a stack when done, I kind of lost track of which were today's blocks, so here's a pic of all the ones I have done. This will be a birthday present for a friend who turns 40 next year. Lots of those coming up, actually. Including mine (but not until NEXT year, I hasten to add).

Lots of stuff to post tomorrow, so if you are waiting for something from me, who knows, it might actually be on the way after tomorrow - hopefully, there will be just long enough break in the strike for some stuff to get to where it is going - another week of varied industrial action starts Monday. Grr. Ruth tells me that in South Africa, when they strike, they stand in the street and sing songs. If that were true here, at least we'd have some entertainment!

8 comments:

Dorothy said...

I LOVE Neil Young, and seeing the title of your post in my Bloglines immediately pushed the button on my head-shaped jukebox, and he's whining away up there now. Heh, thanks for that.

I also LOVE that African block on the right. That unexpected green makes me smile - looks like something I'd do. On purpose. ;o)

And while I'm not a mad shoe fiend like some, I do like the windows blocks. A lot. Not so much for the shoes, but for your PERFECT choice in frame fabrics. You could put pastoral rolling hills, Amish solids, or New Zealand fern prints inthose windows and I'd love it. Shoot, you could put newsprint in those windows and I'd love it.

Papoosue said...

'hey hey my my, rock and roll will never die..' I have to say it, I love Neil Young too - so now I have that song going around in my head!

I like your attic window blocks. I've never been a fan of attic window at all, but I kinda like these ones. I wonder if it's because they are rectangular not square? Ahhh one of life's mysteries... xx

rlbates said...

I love it all!!

Myra said...

I think that is an excellent take on the rust theme. Very imaginative - not boring at all.

Debbi Baker said...

I agree with Myra! Great little inchie. You'll love rusting fabric - I have oodles of the stuff and didn't think to use it on my inchie!

evanyberg said...

The inchie is great and the colour wheel is lovely colored!!

Unknown said...

I disagree about your african blocks Kate I think they both work well the RH one is less well defined than the LH but it looks good in its own way - love those hand-dyes - they're to dye for!!!! groan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danielle said...

Neil Young! So clever. I love your inchie.