Friday, December 14, 2007

Journal Quilt Project: Week 4


As usual, my photography has suffered from the bad light in the winter here in combination with a piece of white fabric (even worse - WOW fabric), but I think you can get the general idea. The piece on the left is my journal quilt for week 4 - and is obviously a Christmas tree with a star on top. It was a very quick and simple piece, with the tree stitched down simply with invisible thread and then the garland (which I hasten to add was prestrung and has been hanging out in a drawer for at least a year - it came from the Pier in a post Christmas sale - possibly even in 2005) attached. Not only is the tree representative of my week, but the necessary quickness and simplicity certainly embodies this week, which has been full of many things, most of them not sewing.

After the quick journal quilt, I did this block, again for the birthday block swap (yes, it's yet another version of that star) - this one in chocolate and pink, and I'm quite happy with it. Where there is the solid brown (it's not entirely solid, actually, as it's a colourshott fabric) I originally had a different pink, but I really didn't like it, so as those sections were at the edge and there were only 4 of them, I unpicked them and put the brown in, instead. Much better. The block is for Kathi, or rather, for her daughter Rylee, who has recently redecorated her room in these colours - or is planning to, I forget which.

I also had a stroke of inspiration while googling about the 1950s (which swap I have due soon - tomorrow, in fact, though that's not happening, I'm afraid) - I was reminded of something that happened in 1953, which would make a nice card. Hopefully most of you can guess from this prototype. Particularly appropriate as DH is editor of a major science journal...


Someday, but I don't think it will be in December, I might actually get ahead again on the decades swaps - but as the other ladies who are in the swap with me are also lagging slightly behind each time, I don't feel too guilty, just a little frustrated. Next year, I will rely on all of you to remind me not to sign up for lots of things due in December (the problem is, when you sign up in Sept and Oct, December seems so far away and you forget how busy it's going to be...)


And finally, got these in the post today - the fabric is from the fabric club I belong to (I am thinking of changing it in the new year - the same place I get these from (Antique Angel) has a Japanese club, with lots of yummy taupes, etc) and the patterns were a free Christmas gift from them - wasn't that sweet? Don't know if I will use them or not, but it's a nice thought.


3 comments:

Joyce said...

The star block is beautiful and I really like the brown on it.

atet said...

Oooh -- love the chocolate and pink combo. As for the fabric club -- I'd go for the Japanese fabric version!

Jenni said...

I think Christmas must be like giving birth (haven't done it myself). You know how you hear women say "it wasn't that bad", even though they were in labour for 24 hrs? They must forget! December is like that - in October you can't remember what last December was like, so you merrily sign up for everything!