Sunday, March 09, 2008

Complimentary squares...



So, despite several hours spent helping with homework projects, I did get some work done - I got one of the Hawaiian quilt tops pinned together ready for quilting, and had a little practice quilting try to work out if I can incorporate things like a palm tree or a sailboat as well as waves (I think I can). Will probably try to quilt a little of it some time this week, if things go to plan.

Also worked today on two small (6") panels for the Dyehard/Surfacing quilt projects for 2008. The left one is the March one for dyehard - the instructions being to use squares or rectangles and complementary colours. I chose purple and yellow for my compliments and did a simple chequerboard of squares. And a black ring, to incorporate my black fabric and my circle theme.

The piece on the right is for the project for the suface embellishment half of the group - the instructions aren't given by month there, only in a list of techniques/materials that are supposed to be used over the year, so I have just grabbed the first technique on the list (angelina) and ran with it. I decided to carry on with the purple and yellow theme, and just did loads of overlapping circles with the two colours of angelina - started with a mistyfuse base on a black background.

So here are all three pieces so far - I have actually deconstructed the central piece - I decided that I didn't want to do the piece quilt as you go, so I have removed the satin stitching for the time being (it was holding the batting and backing on) though I may add it back later. We'll see.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look wonderful, I love the one with the black circle.

artisbliss said...

Looks like this project is coming along nicely. You do keep busy, I'll say that for you.