Sunday, July 13, 2008

African themed day



Well, I promised I would drag out my African blocks and show them to you all - here they are. I think there is one more somewhere, but can't find it (an odd shadow applique thing) at the moment. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with them - obviously they would need to be sashed or something. I'm not ready to do anything with them, so I reckon I need at least 4 more (in addition to finding the missing one). The main thing will be finding a way to balance the ones which are largely black with the ones which aren't, but I'm sure there's a way around that.




Here's one I finished today - the one on the left is not quite as wrinkly as it appears, but it is a bit puffy. I'll keep that one for myself and either fiddle with it, steam it a lot or possible just quilt the hell out of it later.

Also finished my journal quilt from last week - an African snails trail. Not quite enough contrast in the block, I think. I might do a snail's trail for one of my African swap blocks, but if I do, I will probably make one arm black and one some other solid colour or shwe shwe or something which isn't too busy, and then the two busy fabrics won't touch.

I also did get my "S" postcards mostly done, including quilting them and then deciding I didn't like it and ripping the quilting out again. Tomorrow I will back them and do the edges and get them in the post.

9 comments:

Vicki W said...

What a great collection of blocks!

Gina said...

Loveloy blocks. I love african feel fabrics.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Unknown said...

I am physically salivating! I'd cut a whle load of strips in different colours and sash them all unevenly in different combinations

sewkalico said...

They do look fun together, I'll have to show you mine..

Julie said...

Great colours in the african blocks!

artisbliss said...

Gorgeous blocks.

sewkalico said...

Ok, I've finally managed to upload them... They really look so nice in 'the flesh'.

Unknown said...

They are so great. I love those fabrics.

Ruth's Place said...

Love these, very nice!