Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Layer cake & diamonds



Now here's something that is very me - I have a nice list of goals to accomplish, some of them with deadlines, so what do I do with my time today? Two things not on the list! I do have a little excuse for not tackling the quilting on the forest challenge quilt yet - my shoulders still ache a bit from carrying stuff around all day at the fair on Sunday, so I decided I'd not do that yet.


Anyway, they are my goals, and if I want to change them around, I will!


So, today - I decided to tackle those lovely fabrics straight away rather than put them away somewhere and never do anything with them. So I've cut them into squares and then sliced them up a bit and mixed & matched them and come up with this - a friend of mine was describing a pattern called a four-layer cake and I basically used that idea - not sure quite how it finished, so it might not look precisely like that pattern... Anyway, the colour in the photo is terrible (what is it with purple?) but in person, the piece looks really nice. Or, I should say, pieces...


I also worked on the diamond quilt for my friend Caroline's sister. Someone remind me why I decided diamonds were a good idea? What a pain! But at least it's looking good. Oh, and please excuse all the laundry piled up on the bed - it's been washed, dried and sorted but not put away yet - well, there was sewing to be done!

Also got this card in the post today - it's S is for swirls, from Jeannette in Georgia (the US one) - the reflection is from some little crystals on the card. I do need to do my "S" cards, and although I didn't do them today, I do at least know what I plan to do now...

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

I believe that the whole point of a list is so that you can know exactly what you are trading off for a new project. A list is a "suggestion", not a rule!

sewkalico said...

It's so nice when fabrics just inspire you to do something with them straightaway! (even nicer when you have a bit of spare time to just go with it - never mind the washing, there'll be more before you know it LOL)

Judi said...

Your layer cake turned out nicely. I like the diamond quilt as well.