Sunday, December 28, 2008

What day is it, anyway?



So, today I actually felt like doing some sewing - this cold may finally (touch wood) be going away - actually wanted to work and didn't feel like I might slice my hand off with a rotary cutter or anything like that. First thing I did was add the final arc to the NYB block from the other day. Then I had a tidy up of my sewing area - lots of people have sent me bits and bobs either for Christmas or with swaps, etc and they were mostly just in a pile (ok, several piles) on the table, etc. Which is fine for a while, but then it begins to take over the work space...

And then, I decided to do something new (because of course, I have nothing hanging around waiting for me, right?) - this is a little mini quilt (top) - inspired by a pattern in the QNM which Toni sent me with my Holiday Booty Quilt, only much smaller, and I decided to do it more free pieced - that is, not trying to get the points in the centres of the pinwheels (the maths conversion was doing my head in - plus working with small pieces - the 60 degree triangles were cut from 2.5" strips - I didn't feel like doing all the fiddling it takes to get the points right. Hey, I'm still not 100 per cent well :) I'll quilt it up with my orange variegated thread, should be fun. It's going to go off to a swapper whose quilt appears to have been lost in the post. Sigh.

This photo is actually not very representative, either - the grey bits are actually all different shades of blue. The orange is pretty much right, but the blue is way off. Digital cameras are odd things, aren't they!



6 comments:

Vicki W said...

I am glad you are feeling better! I hope to be back in my sewing room in a couple of days too. The new little quilt is adorable.

black bear cabin said...

i hate when you cant capture the colors right, because most quilts are sooooo much prettier in person than in a photograph! Even after doctoring it in photoshop, i still have a hard time getting colors right :(
Its going to make a cute quilt though!
and i love your NYB block...are they as hard as they look? im thinking about tackling that pattern next, a square every now and again...dont think i could make them all at once...id go nuts :)
Glad to hear you are feeling better...holiday colds suck!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Lovely NYB block...and glad you are feeling better.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I'm glad you are feeling better. Your little quilt is so pretty. Makes me think of crossed canoes.

jovaliquilts said...

What a charming little pinwheel quilt! I think it looks great mismatched. Somehow with scrappy that seems to work so well! Hope you feel better soonl.

Anonymous said...

I love the colours in the blocks and in the orange and purple block. It's not something I would have chosen but I really like it.