Sunday, January 17, 2010

Fabric & blocks



Well, this morning I went down to the big annual fabric sale at Farnham Maltings - it was a crush, as usual, but I managed to snap up a few bargains anyway. I bought some batting, which I needed, plus a few fabrics to use as backings (the purple and blue batik - £2/metre - I bought 5 metres; the brown with white dots, also £2/metre, but it's 58" wide - 3 metres of that), and then some stuff I just liked - a metre of a batik toner (the fabric which the other stuff is laid out on), a metre of white on white, a metre of the blue and brown retro fabric and I think about a metre and a half of the blue Moda Marble (it was a bolt end). And three half metre pieces - one with trees, one with words, one with gorillas (I have a friend who is really into gorillas). None of those were more than £4/metre, which is pretty good.



And then, this afternoon, I actually made some more quilt blocks (astonishing, I know) - two more as promised for my African exchange and also, two Lady of the Lake blocks in calico and Japanese taupe fabrics for a new swap I am doing with Cathi - we were exchanging Dear Jane blocks for a while, but I think we both have enough now to stop exchanging and do something with them! So anyway, we decided to keep swapping but do something else. We had a nice star-themed swap all planned out and then got to talking about Lady of the Lake blocks, and well, you can guess what happened...

5 comments:

Gina said...

What great bargains you had with the fabric.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

black bear cabin said...

your blocks came out great...and i love all the new fabrics!!! winter is my favorite time to purchase fabric...the bright, cheery colors, help keep the winter blahs at bay! :) enjoy!

Rafael's Mum said...

love the calico and taupe lady of the lake blocks! they are so effective!! also amazed at your bargains... really pleased for you... farnham maltings you say? is this an only once a year thing? could you let me know and I will put it in my diary for next year. not that i could have gone this year mind... in bed after an emergency operation for burst appendix.... but there is always next year! oh yes, and what are your lady of the lake plans? i am intruiged....

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Love your Lady of the Lake blocks...very pretty.

Looks like you got some good deals too. ah aren't the January sales the best!

sewkalico said...

What wonderrful loot - nothing like a good shop :-)
The blocks look really lovely!