Monday, June 21, 2010

Winter Round Robin



Here's another of the little round robins - I think this is my favourite so far - of course, it's all in my kind of winter colours...

This came to me as a completed top, onto which I was to embroider words and/or add another applique. I did both -I appliqued the little silver snowflakes on dark blue backgrounds and embroidered a quote, which reads:



"his soul swooned slowly...



...as he heard the snow...



...falling faintly through the universe...



...and faintly falling..."

This is from James Joyce's Dubliners - it's the last line of the last story (The Dead) and is one of my favourite closing/opening lines in literature. The line finishes (which seemed less appropriate for this quilt) "...like the descent of their last end, upon the living and the dead." In fact, the whole last paragraph is lovely. [Here's a place online with the last few paragraphs of the story...] Indeed, the whole story - if you never read any other James Joyce (which I can understand happening), this one is still well worth it. Or watch the John Huston film.

4 comments:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Beautiful quilt..love the colours

black bear cabin said...

what a gorgeous quilt...and i love your james joyce addition...its perfect!

Kathy said...

That quilt is beautiful! It would be especially nice to look at when the temperatures are in the 90s as we are having lately. I like the quote you used. Never read that particular Joyce book.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

This is gorgeous! I am really looking forward to doing my own!