Saturday, October 09, 2010

Knit & Stitch


Untitled, Alexandra Deutsch

Went to the Knit and Stitch Show today at Alexandra Palace with my friend Lana - frankly, if I'd known how tough it was going to be to get there (planned engineering works on both of the tube lines that run up in that neck of the woods) I might not have bothered, although I did enjoy the show. There were a number of pieces I liked quite a lot, though most of them couldn't be photographed. Here are a few that I was able to take photos of - the above was from an exhibit called Holland Paper Biennial 2010, which had a lot of interesting paper work, though I think this was my favourite (there were several by this artist in a similar vein, very organic shapes and nice texture to the pieces).


Ann Small: Anemone Rosa

There were three different anemone pieces in this exhibit (I can't remember what the exhibit was, though it was a group of different artists and featured a number of nice pieces). This one was my favourite of the Anemone pieces, though I liked all three.


And my favourite (probably) of the pieces I saw today was this group of slate vertebrae or fern leaves, or? sewn together down their spines. This was in an exhibit of work by Clyde Oliver; I can't recall the title of the exhibit, but there were a number of interesting pieces using slate as a basic material. I'd like to own these pieces - partly because they are lovely, but also partly because then I'd be able to touch them - I bet they feel great!





I didn't buy much - a couple of cross-stitch patterns and a handful of art supplies, plus a couple of presents - so I haven't photographed the loot, but I have stitched up half of one of the cross-stitch patterns already (it was fairly small), so I'll be showing that before long... A nice day out (though the show is getting to be really expensive, I think, especially given the exhibitor to vendor ratio).

2 comments:

Joyce said...

"(though the show is getting to be really expensive)"

It depends how you buy your ticket. If you can get one via a quilt or embroidery group it is a lot cheaper. I paid £8 this year and I think that is less than I paid last year. I tend to buy things that I could not get without paying postage if I were not there, and I suspect it saves me money overall if the ticket costs £8. The thing I do not like is the increasing proportion of stalls selling ready made goods.
Best
Joyce F

Dahn said...

I like the Anemone Rosa too--that is very globular and neato.. I like looking at your pictures, since you like very cool things. (Are your canals done yet??)