Thursday, December 23, 2010

Oh my stars



This is the start of a new project - it's a block-of-the-month online, and it's all Julie's fault. See, I was finally catching up on some blog reading and I noticed she was doing this BOM from Planet Patchwork, and after having a look at it, I was intrigued.

Rather oddly for me, I am not doing it in the black and jewel-tone colourway that it's shown in (which would be something I'd gravitate towards normally), but because I am feeling both scrappy and Christmassy at the moment, I decided I'd do it all in assorted Christmas fabrics, of which I have a smallish stash - more than enough for this project, though admittedly, lots of blues, a fair few greens and not so many reds. Which is fine. I'll do the backgrounds in different cream-on-creams and it will all tie together. I don't have a Christmas quilt, so it seemed a good choice.

The block above is actually the unit from November; I will have to do the unit from December in the next few days - not a problem, as I will have plenty of time to sew over the next week or so (hurrah!).





I've also made some more scrappy blocks (these are 6" blocks) - some the other day and some today while doing the Stars BOM - I was using them as enders and leaders. I think I am maybe, finally, beginning to notice a little difference in my scrap basket - though whether this is because of actually having used scraps up or whether it's because I have been separating out the larger scraps and piling them up on the corner of my sewing table to save for other projects, who knows. I rather suspect the latter...

6 comments:

sophie said...

I confess that JULIE has me thinking about that one, too. I love the scrappy Christmas approach you're taking. I was also thinking of deviating a bit on the color palette ... if I decide to jump in.

Speaking of scraps, have you seen 2011 Rainbow Scrap Challenge on the SoScrappy blog?

Gail said...

I like the Christmas block! I absolutely will not start any new projects! I have too many things going now.

mumzy said...

Love the Christmas block idea. However, at the present time, I don't have the time for any more quilts.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Just popping in to wish you and yours a very happy and peaceful Christmas!!

Julie said...

Wishing you a very Happy Christmas and best wishes for 2011! xx

floribunda said...

ha ha ha (evil enabling laugh!) there's always room for one more project, right? I like your fabric choices and it will be fun to see how they all come out.

Happy Holidays!