Sunday, July 03, 2011

Red, White, Blue



Red, white and blue is not a combination I am normally very fond of, but the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this month is those patriotic colours, so I decided to give it a go in a small way. I tried to use any and every shade and hue of blue and I admit that I didn't strictly stick with white white, but instead some sort of very white creams. The red centres are pieced from small bits from my scrap basket and the blues all come from either my blue scrap drawer or my blue strip stash. The whites, I admit to pilfering from my main stash - I don't have a lot of scrap whites, apparently (plus, with both the reds and blues scrappy, I wanted to use just a few whites to tame it a bit). There are 20 6" blocks, so this will be another charity baby quilt, which I think it will work very well for.

I also have started making tote bags this weekend for teachers' presents - 2 down, 3 to go. Watch for a totebag tutorial (tote-torial!) tomorrow or Tuesday...

12 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

Very pretty, Kate - and so appropriate for this weekend, at least here in the States!

Quilter Kathy said...

These are great R,W & B blocks!

Lynne said...

Not a combination I would normally choose either but your blues have given it a softer look.

Looking forward to tomorrow's tote-orial.

Angela said...

These are great!

sameer said...

WOWWW Purple luks awesome. Fantastic collection of Quilts here. Thanks for sharing.
I also found some brilliant stuff on:
http://www.bed-linen-store.com/quilts.html

april said...

Now, I really love red/white/blue and I think this is absolutely wonderful! Love this "scrap stuff"! Very very pretty!

sophie said...

I think you put together some great blocks--red, white & blue yes, but they don't scream, "this is a patriotic quilt."

sewkalico said...

Lovely blocks!

scraphappy said...

Such a pretty little quilt. Glad you were able to experiment a bit, I think the colors look lovely together.

Jan Maree said...

Great blocks - they will make a lovely teachers gift!

Betty Lou said...

May not be your favorites to work with but it certainly turned out wonderful. Think that is what Rainbow Challenge is all about, to get us to think out of our color choices. Very nice.

Amy said...

Being an America, I am in LOVE with this adorable lil' quilt! Excellent combination and design :0) However, I also agree with Sophie; the colors are so "soft" that it doesn't scream "patriotic," so it could be for anyone.