Monday, August 08, 2011

White scrappy


This month's colour in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is white. Now, I don't have a lot of white scraps. I do have some strips, which I will try to do something with later in the month, but even if I count neutrals as well as pure white, I don't really have that much - I tend to use whites and neutrals up rather than have them hanging around scrappy.

What I did find, however, when clearing out yesterday, was a large white cotton curtain which I had saved to do something with. Perhaps dye in the days I did more (any!) dyeing. Anyway. I decided that I would use the white as a background and use up some other scraps instead of white ones.

Yesterday during my clearout I also found a photo of an old baby quilt (the baby in question being about 7 now) and remembered that I always intended to do another quilt with the block in question, which is this modified nine patch:



This block finishes at about 5" - the one I did before was larger, but I started with 1.5" squares in the centre this time - probably did 2" or 2.5" ones last time.

I'll add a white border to the small top and it can go on the charity quilt pile. And that's 20 more 4.5" or 5" squares out of the scrap stash. May not seem like much, but every little bit helps...

4 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

Oooh, Kate, I like this one! What a great design - that one random corner block really takes it to the next level. Definitely on my bucket list now!!

Lynne said...

Lovely quilt top.

That nine patch gives me some ideas!

Needled Mom said...

I really like this 9 patch with the additional color patch in the border.

Ruth's Place said...

I think I've just found what I'm going to do with my 1.5 inch squares...

Lovely block and quilt.