Sunday, May 18, 2014

It's easy being green


Those of you playing along with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge will know that May's colour is green...  So I decided to do some green things. Instead of just showing you the finished blocks, I thought I'd walk through the process as well...


Here's my box of green small pieces. I decided to search through my half-metre pieces to find something which was compatible with greens...


I pulled out these six, and decided to go with the one in the bottom middle - African animals and trees. Though I have plans for the one on the bottom right as well. 


I pulled out a bunch of greens to go wtih the African fabric, then decided what to do with it - I decided to alternate 6" squares with blocks made of 3" centres with green borders. 


So I cut as many 6" squares as I could (and the 3" ones to go with them) - here's what happened to that half metre of fabric - 13 6" squares, 12 3" centres, and some strips and scraps for the strip bag and scrap basket. A small handful of tiny bits for the bin, too!


After narrowing the greens down to 6 from the seven above (2 blocks in each fabric), and cutting strips, here's what's left - some strips for the strip basket, a few small scraps and the small pile of greens will go back into the green box.   And now, it's just a matter of assembling the blocks into a top and finding some border fabric for it.

2 comments:

soscrappy said...

Such great organization. I'm sure that having a system makes it easier to put all the bits to good use.

Kate North said...

I think it does help, certainly. Of course, I still have some parts of my stash which aren't this organised :)