Friday, August 29, 2014

Just a few quilts from the Great Northern Quilt Show


Being up in that part of the world, for a change, I had the chance to attend the Great Northern Quilt Show today.  I didn't take a lot of quilt photos (I don't tend to much anymore, between having been at this quite a few years and copyright issues and also being lazy when I'm at shows) but here are a few quilts I particularly liked for one reason or another. Please note that I did not make any of these quilts, nor do I have any rights to the images. I've credited the maker each time - if you are interested in their work, you should try to see if they have websites!

This quilt is one of many in the show by Chris Marriage, a longarm quilt from "up north" as we call it down in London... I've seen her work before, and she had a section within the show featuring her quilts - I liked a lot of them, but this one in particular, which is called Nebula, particularly struck me. I really enjoyed the colours and also, all the different fills she used...



This quilt is called Line Dancing and is by Maureen Crawford (I think  - my photo of the label was a bit blurry). I liked this one partly because I just enjoyed the colour and the movement, but also, the idea struck me - this was a row quilt, but instead of joining it in a traditional way, she's set it all diagonally, joined half the rows perpendicular to the other half, and finally, sliced the whole thing open to add the curved flying geese at the end - what a great idea!


This piece is The Little Lost Coverlet by Louise Clayton, and is a replica of a coverlet the maker's husband found in a skip (dumpster) many years ago - I liked the simplicity and the way the blocks are all different sizes - I'm thinking this would look great with shirt fabric and similar. If I were going to make something like this, I would quilt it a lot more, but I understand why this one isn't, as coverlets aren't really quilted...


This is the rather stunning Dreamcatcher  - Caught a Dream by Birgit Schueller, a German quilter. I just enjoyed all the work in this one - the quilting was great, though the other photo I took of some of the vegetation didn't really come out.



And finally, Postcard from Venice by Susan Lax, which does such a great job of looking like medieval floor mosaics...  I also liked the composition of this one, though, with all the different kinds of floor tile mosaics inserted into a small space. And I liked the diagonality, if that's a word...

There were many more quilts there, but as I said, I only took photos of a few of them, even though there were lots of others which I enjoyed looking at. Normally when I take photos at quilt shows, I never do anything with the photos  - often not even look at them later, so I hope you've enjoyed seeing these few, and I hope the makers don't mind my sharing their lovely work.

1 comment:

Sue Wild said...

It's usually a lovely show and a refreshing change from Festival of Quilts. I used to go when I briefly lived in Yorkshire and seeing a few pics on fb, seems its a good show, pity I'm not up that way to see. Thanks for sharing your photos. Hope you've enjoyed your visit to Yorkshire.